What is an Underbite?
Underbite is a form of malocclusion characterized by lower teeth that protrude beyond the upper teeth. It is also known as mandibular prognathism, a class 3 malocclusion. It can range from mild to severe and have a variety of possible causes. Patients with an underbite can have difficulty speaking and eating properly.
They can develop breathing problems, as well as a greater risk for bite-related problems and tooth damage. For those with severe underbite, there is often a social stigma related to their appearance. This stigma can have a detrimental effect on self-esteem, personal, and professional relationships. Treating an underbite in its early stages can give your child a chance to avoid these issues later on in life.
Is it Bad to Have an Underbite?
An underbite can cause your jaw to protrude from your face, and other structural facial issues. This malocclusion generally does not fix itself. We recommend treatment as soon as possible to prevent gum disease, and other health issues from arising. Other than the noticeable jaw protrusion, underbites can also:
- Make speech more difficult.
- Make it difficult to eat. It can become harder to chew and swallow food.
- Tooth enamel wears down quicker.
- Increases the chances of developing tooth decay.
- Increases the chances of developing TMJ disorder.
- Increases the chances of developing Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Some patients decide to live with this condition. Although, severe cases should always be monitored by your dentist.
How do You Fix an Underbite in Ottawa
Ottawa dentist Dr. Ami Barakat offers comprehensive early orthodontic treatments in Kanata and Ottawa, Ontario. We are an experienced orthodontic care team focused on fixing all malocclusion cases that come into our dentist office. Underbites are usually fixed with braces.
We can treat underbites naturally with a range of options to restore function and beauty to your smile. Early intervention can play an important role in laying the foundation for healthy, stable tooth and jaw development in a growing child. Treatments can include:
- Oral appliances: Such as mouthguards, night guards, An upper jaw expander, and more.
- Traditional braces: Metal braces offer the strength needed to guide the teeth and jaw.
- Invisalign: Usually reserved for mild cases, it can align teeth in as little as a year.
- Myobrace: Early treatment for children to prevent underbites, and other malocclusion issues, from advancing.
Dr. Barakat will evaluate your bite and recommend the treatment or combination of treatments best suited for your needs. We will work to restore full function to your smile without sacrificing beauty. In more severe cases, oral surgery may be recommended. It is always important to consult with your dentist before jumping to conclusions. We will work with you to find the right solution that will fix the problem the first time.
Schedule A Dental Exam & Consultation
Dr. Barakat can examine your occlusion and provide treatment recommendations during a consultation in our Stittsville dentist office. We serve orthodontics patients in Kanata, Ottawa and surrounding communities. We can fix your jaw joint discomfort, excessive tooth wear, and more. To schedule one for you or your child contact us at or request an appointment online.